Sunday 4 March 2012

Justice League: Doom.

Horey sheet! I'm reviewing something that came out just a few days ago? And it isn't some indie romance movie? What the fuck is happening?! Haha, enjoy! - By the way, I'm sorry I haven't got the joint review up for this week yet, I promise it'll be up soon.

The DC animated movies have been a... mixed bag. There are only two or three I can think of that I genuinely enjoyed. Some were pathetic teen pandering, some were genuinely very good, some were experimental with a mixed rate of success, some were just plain bad, some were boring and some shit on the comics they were based on. But you get the idea.


Doom is based on a comic book arc named 'Tower of Babel' - which I have never read so I know nothing about, so how well this animated feature compares to its comic counterpart, I have no idea.

The opening credits give us a run down of the superheroes, their powers and secret identities. But really, did we really need this? Who would be watching this, who doesn't already know who the heroes are? I'm just happy they replaced Kyle with Hal.

I'm really glad they got Kevin Conroy back to do the voice for Batman, for me he is the best Batman, hell he is Batman. And Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern, again! I thought Emerald Knights was pretty average, so it's nice he got another chance to be GL, since they luckily gave that shitty movie to Reynolds... The voice actors are basically an all star cast, Alexis Denisof as Mirror Master, Michael Rosenbaum as the Flash (ironic because he played Luthor in Smallville) are highlights but there are many others reprising their roles from the JL TV series, the entire voice cast do a great job, why don't they ever put in this much effort when they dub anime? Even Bruce Timm has a small speaking part!

The censoring in this film is strange. It's much more violent than your usual cartoon, but also almost completely bloodless. And I know it's just blood but a lot of the tension is lost when they say 'your injuries are severe' and all they have is a ripped tshirt. I mean the thing seems to get increasingly more bloody as they go, which is weird in itself, but there are scenes at the start 'you're bleeding all over my floor' with no blood at all and later blood is flying everywhere for the most unecessary of things, I just don't get it!


The animation here is disappointing. It isn't bad so much, it's fast and fluid, the action in places is absolutely epic and for the most part the character designs are good, but it's often rife with QUALITY and just looks rather cheap. You can probably see that from the screen grabs. I expected much better, since for the most part these DC Features have been a spectacle of great animation.

So basically the story is as simple as this, an evil justice league is formed to take out the existing justice league. Okay, it is more complicated than that, but it's better to just watch it than have me tell you. But what I will say, Mirror Master broke in and stole things from the Batcave so easily, why has no one else done it if it is that easy? This actually sums up a lot of the movie, the way each Leaguer is taken down is rather...uninspiring, all the heroes seem to go down so easily you're just left thinking, why hasn't someone done this already? Still, I enjoyed the twist which I won't spoil. And what a sequel bating ending!

I'm just surprised by how average this all was, considering his is dedicated and written by the late and great Dwayne McDuffie right before his death in 2011. 

So do I recommend this? It's the little things that stop this being truly great, the way the Leaguers were taken down just wasn't epic enough for me, the strange censorship was irritating and the animation was lacklustre but despite all this, JLD was still good fun and is still worth a watch but this is a rather average entry into the DC Feature list.

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...