Thursday 31 May 2012

Iron Sky.


Hey guys, I know it's been a while, I've just been crazy busy these last few months and I'm really sorry I neglected the written film reviews on this blog I hope this review will make do for a while. This has been a film I've been excited for, for a while so I hope you enjoy!

Iron Sky is a curious creature being that the film seems to have influence and money from every European citizen and country and yet had an extremely limited theatrical release before winding up on DVD. I wish I could tell you more about this film because its conception does seem fascinating since this film seems to only exist because of the enthusiasm for film the collaborators have but I don't know anything about it.

Set in the near future (2018) during a moon mission (on a moon apparently with much stronger gravity than ours) two men discover a Nazi base on it, and I mean this isn't just a base, it's like a whole city and shaped like a swastika, awesome. And this is where the plot starts to fall to pieces, I know this film isn't supposed to be realistic, but are we really supposed to believe the Nazis had apparently no technological advancement beyond what appears to be the 1960's and yet managed to build a city on the moon complete with spaceships and giant warmachines? So the whole subplot of Nazis invading Earth to get mobile phones to power their warmachine ended up sounding stupid in a film about space Nazis and you know you have a problem when you have a film about space Nazis and that isn't the silly part. Some anti America jokes later, a civil war between the Nazis break out and the invasion begins ending with the world destroying itself over a fuel source, topical.

Considering one man was responsible for the special effects and the budget is estimated at around £6 million from a wide range of collaborators the film looks really, really good. Not to the level of Hollywood glossiness, sure, if you put this next to a big budget Hollywood production this film would look laughable but as a six million European production it looks bloody great. I loved the Nazi costume designs, their city looked awesome - as did the space battles.

Although most are short there are some really exciting set pieces spotted throughout the film and the action sequences are always extremely stylish. And the epic Nazi invasion as they drop down from the skies and start obliterating is just awesome, erupting in a full on space battle, Nazis vs the entire world. So, fucking awesome. And it ends truly beautifully.

What you have to understand is, this film isn't for everyone, it's gloriously silly but your typical B-Movie rubbish, if you're the kind of person who can enjoy B-Movies and all the shittiness that comes with them like me, then you'll love this movie. If you're the kind of snob who turns your nose up at them, there is nothing here for you. Personally this film had me grinning like a goon practically all the way through. I laughed my fucking ass off at the Hitler Rage meme scene.

It is interesting to note that our hero is black, especially since the film wont stop pointing it out, I think in the end the fact they made a deal of it just made it not work. I'd be much happier if you had a black hero and didn't bother making it a thing, now that would blow me away. And if he wasn't an idiot and a stereotype. There is also a female president which I guess is worth a note even if it's there just for the sake of Anti-America humour.

Apart from the weird European movie king Udo Kier I didn't know any of the actors or actresses in this movie that being said it would seem a lot of them are pretty famous in their home countries and it shows because they all do a great job. The female lead is played by Julia Dietze I've honestly never heard of her but my God this woman is insanely beautiful it's a shame she's mainly been in German movies I've never heard of because damn girl!

Is the fact the main villain Klaus has brown hair but still goes on about Aryan perfection supposed to be a joke at the expense of Hitler's appearance? Because it isn't very funny.

So do I recommend this? Iron Sky is a classic example of an idea that can't last a whole film, around the half hour mark the whole Nazis on the moon concept has already overstayed its welcome as the jokes deteriorate into Scary Movie levels of shittiness and the awesomeness just starts to dissipate however if you stick through the crap jokes and pretty much all of the shitty second act, you will eventually get a satisfying, action packed conclusion.

The film is by no means bad, at least to a shlock standard, it's just a shame the idea didn't stretch for the whole movie and they chose to pad it with terrible jokes. It's a great concept and B-Movie fans will get a kick out of this, I'm not sure how much appeal there is for anyone else though, the more normal cinemagoer might just find this a bit rubbish really.

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...