Wednesday 29 February 2012

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.


I know, one pretentious indie movie to the next. Then again, this film is so mainstream I don't even know if it counts as Indie, more just the Hollywood Indie that is basically a marketing ploy to suggest these films are somehow more intelligent than your usual explosionfest. Normally they aren't. But I'm willing to give the film a chance. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, Michael Cera... does anything need to be said? He is a terrible actor who has somehow been lucky enough to get away with playing the same character for the last decade. But yeah, Kat Dennings! I've seen your boobies! It even has Andy Samberg!

This may as well be called a Michael Cera Movie, just make it a subgenre in itself. If you've seen any of the films he has been in, then you'll know exactly what kind of character he plays and exactly what kind of plot the movie will have. Do I even need to briefly sum up the plot? You could probably do it yourself without watching the thing. About the only new thing it does is make Nick's two best friends gay, but even then it's done in that idealised way so it just becomes annoying. But still, I'd like some gay friends to find me a Kat Dennings rebound.

Basically Nick has a shitty girlfriend called Tris, she dumps him, all the while one of Tris' friends finds herself falling for him as he sends Tris mixtapes. A series of contrivances has them then falling in love as they search for the band Where's Fluffy and Norah's drunk best friend.

I mean seriously, this film basically took the checklist for indie movie tropes and ticked them all. But when you're just trying to turn your film into an indie one, rather than making a film that just turns out to be one, the soul is lost.

All things considered though, as a piece of teenage introspection, this is basically perfect. The way it shows Nick going through the motions after his break up I could really relate. Although they do perhaps ruin this slightly by making the ex pure evil and having Nick seemingly fall in love with Norah over one night. But the concept of how lonely life is and that sometimes it's just nice to be in a relationship, even if it isn't working, just to feel special is a concept I am sure we can all relate to, surely?


I think after watching this, I need to go away and buy both the soundtrack and the book it was based on.

And holy shit Cera saw 'Bowie' right, I can't stand it when people call him David bow as in take a bow eeeee it's David BOW as in bow and arrow eeee.

So do I recommend it? NNIP is probably one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, I was practically laughing through the whole thing. And so that is why, despite how generic this film is, I just had such a huge grin on my face through the whole thing - even goosebumps in places, it made me so happy, filled me with such hope, I just couldn't hate it. Even with Michael Cera. It just made me want to fall in love. I could not recommend this movie enough.

Think About It!

-Locke

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I'm immediately turned off a film Michael Cera is, you know the plot before the film's started. Awfully typecast, you think he'd be bored of playing the same guy by now.
I also find people pronouncing Bowie wrong annoying too.

Think About It! said...

I would turn the film off for him alone too, but he has a nasty habit of turning up in films I actually like. Which is weird I guess, because I probably should like him then, but I still don't.

Yeah, surely acting stops being fun if all the challenge is taken away? Much like anything in life.

The fact Scott Pilgrim had crazy action is like the further he has come away from himself in anything and he still played the same character.

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...