Monday 12 March 2012

I'm Here.


I know I already said that I like to avoid rewatching something I've already seen because I have to attempt to disassociate my feelings for something so I may approach it critically without any previous bias. That being said reviews are almost entirely opinion and opinions are influenced. When I reviewed this film some few years back, not only was I much worse review writer and nowhere near as well versed on Indie Romance, it was also the first time I had seen this film, whereas now I have seen it about six times. However the main and most key difference was I was madly in love and in a very self destructive relationship, something key to this film, so it is bound to change how I responded to it. So I decided, for no real reason other than to avoid having to review any more animated movies for a while, to revisit I'm Here. Enjoy!

What I'm Here is, I have absolutely no idea. It's directed and written by Spike Jonze and has some real talent behind it and in it, but it came from seemingly nowhere, was screened online for free, was never released on DVD and is apparently funded so in turn a promotion for Absolut Vodka yet as far as I can see, it's nothing to do with it, it seems to be attempting to sell music more than anything else. It's such a strange and curious entity that seemed to slip passed most of the public's conciousness. And that is honestly a shame.

I'm Here is only thirty minutes long and is hardcore Indie Romance, down to the very core, only difference is this time we have robots, one of which is voiced by Andrew Garfield.

The effects are amazing, they look practical which I'm guessing they are and yet somehow, these huge hunks of plastic that make robots look like the family PC you grew up with as a kid don't look out of place, they look real despite moving around in what looks like a present day town. There is also never any explanation for why robots are here or why no one is really that bothered.

This honestly surprised me because these days American's seem to like to hold our hands through every film they produce, I guess this is what happens when you let Jonze write and direct his own movie and I think it's all for the better. I know some people will complain because they like every single detail explained with an essay but honestly it doesn't matter. Why are the robots there? They are a dramatic device for a self destructive relationship okay, now let's move on and enjoy the short.

The music is slow, sad and atmospheric and the film appears to have been shot through a filter to make the whole thing look as dark and grimy as possible. The whole piece is so depressing but this is almost completely down to the atmosphere Jonze creates rather than the content itself. It's strange. By around half way through the piece, this really kicks into over drive as Sheldon's new robot girlfriend begins to fall apart. Even before that, they are excited to go to the concert, they then get there and the whole thing seems filled with dread, I really can't understand what Jonze is doing.

It's easy to assume that this is simply a romantic gesture, I'd give my left arm for you! And here Sheldon literally does, but the main reason I think this is about the self destruction in a relationship (I mean he literally takes himself apart) is simply the horror movie like atmosphere Jonze creates for the whole thing. It feels more like a story of someone with a terminal disease who dates a person with the organs needed to save her just so she can harvest him and live just done with a robot twist.

I don't even know if she is doing it on purpose, the atmosphere is just so rammed with menance. Is it saying a relationship kills you? Taking everything from you until there is nothing left? I can see that. It's an extremely pessimistic message to have, if that is the one that Jonze is trying to convey. But I still can't really work out how Francesca's falling apart really fits in here, unless Jonze is trying to say in a relationship you're just as bad as any other. I've seen this film many times and yet it still fills me with so many questions with each viewing and it never really provides any answers. I mean why not just give her a new body, why does Sheldon have to give his up?

Or am I simply over thinking all of this?

This isn't to say this film is without stylistic flair, the artsy first person sequence as Sheldon is taken apart to save his girlfriend is fascinating and really, really good.

Garfield does an amazing job as Sheldon (seriously is that like the top name in the book of names for nerds in TV and movies?) - the awkward love struck robot nerd, as shit as his new Spider-Man movie looks, he is a great actor and he has a lovely voice, voice acting is much harder that it seems, I'd honestly argue it's harder than acting since voice acting means you have to convey everything with your voice alone but he does a great job. I wonder if it is him under all that plastic?

At its heart, I'm Here is an indie love story of the self destructive variety. But Jonze uses the fact they are robots to touch on many issues, like racism. It's been done before and he doesn't really do anything new or special with it, but it also doesn't really get in the way of anything, so I'm not complaining, just kinda mehing. Not everything he does is completely generic either, the way sex is presented between the robots is really interesting and he takes the most basic of Indie tropes and 'robotifies' them, like dreams - talking about them. Well Robots can't dream, so they dedicate a scene to Sheldon and Francesca making them up.

I could perfectly understand why you wouldn't like this film, it's extremely problematic. Whether it be the conflicting atmosphere to the narrative, the fact that our leads are both robots or the fact it is all so extremely pretentious. I personally don't mind the robots or the pretentiousness but I must admit, the mixed messages this film sends me really alienates me, despite the amount of times I have seen this. Plus since it does away with narrative hand holding completely you maybe left simply going 'what?' by the end of the film, I've personally explored quite a few films that throw you in the deep end and force you to swim to shore alone but even despite that, this film films me with so many questions.

So do I recommend it? I'm Here is a great movie, especially for Indie Romance fans, don't get me wrong. But I'm Here is also undoubtedly problematic. I have seen this film a lot of times and I still can't understand what Jonze is trying to do with this movie and I doubt many will have the patience or love for this movie to attempt to find out like I have been since the film has come out. I still think it is worth a watch and I still recommend it but those with no patience or no interest in the Indie Romance genre, it'd probably do you good just to steer clear. Plus, for people I do recommend this too, you can see this online for free on the official website!

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...