Monday 29 October 2012

30 Days of Halloween (Day 29)


As this is probably the last time I'll be able to do a horror round up before Halloween, I decided to make this a bumper recommendation post to go out with a bang. Enjoy and Happy Halloween!
Let's start off with a film Sinister clearly, completely ripped off - 8mm. Although not exactly a horror film, 8mm deals with a man trying to discover if a snuff film is real, leading him into the dark underbelly of the adult film history and has all the trappings of a horror film, which is why I put it here. And the critics hated this one... But personally, despite how silly it is, despite how ridden with clichés it is when compared to how few original ideas it has of its own, despite having the lead character played by Nicolas Cage - I guess I just appreciated this because of Sinister. Sinister, for me, personally was rather ruined by the supernatural third act, I wanted it to turn out to all be in his head because the whole supernatural bent was stupid and makes little sense and although 8mm isn't quite that movie, if you wanted to see Sinister without all the supernatural bullshit and the jump scares, this is the movie for you.

My second recommendation is a personal favourite of mine, as a Bruce Campbell fan, My Name is Bruce. Directed by Campbell, Co-Produced by Campbell and starring Campbell, aw yeah. The reaction from critics was a mixed one, but not exactly negative. Much praise came from the Evil Dead vein the film was made in, allowing them to do some deliberately bad filmmaking in places to cut around their low budget, knowing the fans would appreciate it regardless. On the other end of the scale however were people accusing Campbell of being vain and that this film is just smug. Honestly, I can't argue with that, I know little about this films conception or why it exists. And my quick visit to Wiki-...my extensive research didn't help answer that. Either way, I'm not sure how much horror or comedy fans will appreciate this film if they don't like or don't care either way for Bruce Campbell. But as a horror, comedy AND a Bruce Campbell fan, I love the hell out of this film and it is one of my personal recommendations.

You remember how I said I wanted to go back and check out the original Fright Night? Well yeah, I did that. And guess what, the critics actually liked this one! And honestly, I know this is going to lose me cool points, but I kinda... preferred the remake, I'm sorry but I did. It is perfectly possible I just prefer it because I saw that version first and that version was aimed specifically at my generation but either way, the original Fright Night just didn't feel as tightly written or as well paced, if I had to sum up Fright Night 1985 with one word, it'd be messy. However, and a big however, there are some truly awesome practical effects and it really played in the films favour. The third act of 1985 completely blows 2011 out of the water and the film is worth checking out for that, alone.

The next recommendation is a British Hammer Horror film called Wake Wood, represent! And guess what, the critics liked this one, too! Despite being low budget and truly absurd, what really got Wake Wood some praise was its pandering to human desires, on the ideas of taboo, our longing for system, order and belonging, grief and the hardship of life and the notion that dying isn't the scary part - it's being dead. I can also understand, given my position, why this film may appeal to me more than it would others. The story of parents who'd give everything to see their daughter again for three measly days...I mean I don't have a dead child, but I'd do anything to see my Mum again and I guess that makes sense of the parents actions for me, perhaps more than it would for someone who hadn't been in a position like this, grief is never truly something you understand until you're forced to live through it.  Once you get in the mindset of the central characters you'll be rewarded with the combination of a fantastic central mystery, really kick ass special effects and generally all round creepiness, us Brits sure know how to do horror. Recommended!

My next recommendation is another personal favourite of mine, Exam and another British film, represent! It has a great cast, including but not limited too Colin Salmon, Jimi Mistry, Luke Mably and Nathalie Cox. And it was met with a mixed critical reaction. Personally however, I feel Exam a master class in film construction and film writing, it's a film that needs to be seen several times to be truly appreciated but it's just a masterpiece, every little bit of this film comes together beautifully....it's just as amazing as it is fascinating and it just needs to be seen.

My final recommendation of Halloween 2012 is another personal favourite and one that doesn't really need any explanation or introduction...28 Days Later. 28 Days Later is a film with another kick ass cast, Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Christopher Eccleston. Although not really a zombie film specifically, it is seen largely as a reboot of the genre. And honestly, anything I could say, has already been said this is was a critical and financial success, so just if you haven't seen this one, see it. Right now.

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...