Thursday 25 October 2012

30 Days of Horror (Day 25).


Time for another round up, don't you think?
Three of today's recommendations are personal favourites and classics in their own right. My final recommendation is an old film, but neither a classic or a personal favourite...well it is probably a personal favourite now, but I only just saw it.

The first personal classic is a film called 'The Frighteners'. It'll probably sell it to you more if I tell you it's directed by Peter Jackson and stars Michael J. Fox in his last leading role in a movie. It was pretty special effects heavy at the time which probably had a big impact in why it failed financially, despite the fact the critics loved it.

What do I think? Well, it's a personal classic so what do you think? Honestly despite The Frighteners not being my first choice for a movie to wack on in downtime, I have seen this a lot during my lifetime and every time I have an excellent time. It's just a ridiculously entertaining film. It looks great, it makes you laugh, it thrills you, it's so imaginative...I just love this film and if you haven't seen this one, you should go correct that...right now.

The other two personal classics are Halloween and Halloween II - fuck all those other sequels and remakes, these are the only Halloween movies you need! If you somehow don't know, Halloween was directed, produced, written and scored by John Carpenter. It is a low-budget slasher film that ended up basically becoming the template for the genre and one of the most profitable indie films of all time. It is also sadly a film lots of film scholars like to sit around and circle jerk over. Halloween II gets a new director in the form of Rick Rosenthal and literally carries on from the same night the original Halloween ended. This film was intended to be the end of Michael Myers, but not the end of the Halloween Franchise. However the third film was an utter failure, so they started making Myers this unkillable completely missing the point piece of bullshit to run into the ground before Rob Zombie would come and take a dump on it all and set it on fire. Deep breath! I guess the biggest difference between Halloween and Halloween II is at the time of its release Halloween was really either praised or dismissed, Halloween II however took a critical beating. And over time Halloween became an important piece of cinema history and Halloween II got a pass because the rest of the Halloween franchise and a majority of the slasher genre that spiralled out from this sucked. Look, just take my word for it, they are two of the best horror films of all time, if you haven't seen them yet, you need too. I love these movies.

My final recommendation and probably one of the most amazing things I have ever seen is a film called 'Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter'. Look, there really isn't much I can really give you about this one or even really say, just know it isn't as badass as that title sounds but it's easily the most hilarious films I have ever seen...it's just...beyond words.

Think About It!

Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...