Thursday 29 November 2012

Arrow: S01E07 - Muse of Fire.


As you know we're approaching the mid season break for TV shows and I will be dropping Arrow at that point, sorry if anyone relies on my reviews, or whatever. I thought I may as well review it up until that point, after all this but since I've picked up so many shows on my blog and in my life, I don't have time for a show I don't particularly like. Arrow isn't bad, so much, but it's just clearly not targeted at someone like me so I'm not getting anything from this show, that I wanted to get. Hope you enjoy the review, at least, this will be one of the last.


Okay, the episode opens pretty amazingly, with Ollie chasing a motorcycle on foot, which he would have won, if a truck didn't get in the way leading Arrow into hunting down the mob and entering the Huntress! Oh and China White is back and stuff. A big mob war would be pretty awesome, though. Meanwhile Tommy is still trying to get in Laurel's pants, but he has no money! And yes, it turns out that the Well Dressed Man is Tommy's father, meaning it might be John Barrowman who becomes Arrow's archnemisis Merlyn, if they include him at all.

Admittedly I know very little about the character of The Huntress, so I can certainly tell you she looks the part but I can't really say much about how faithful her transfer from comics to show is. Judging by this show, I'd probably assume not very faithful at all. She looks very nice and works great as a somewhere for Ollie to put his dick and his secrets in but I wasn't really convinced by her in the action scenes, I know she is only just starting out here but the little I know of The Huntress from the comics is that she is an utter badass, here, I never really got a sense of that. Probably the most annoying aspect of her character, ironically, is the way Arrow responds to her. He's still doing his mightier than thou bullshit, he actually has a bigger body count than she does at this point but still tells her she is in the wrong and he is in the right, no arguments, to him this is a fact, right before he snaps a guys neck, just like any good fundamentalist. What a cunt.

I mean don't get me wrong, Amell is still great in the lead role but I just think that ironically, despite being the title character, he's the weakest character in the whole series. I mean I know this episode was designed to be one where we could really tune into him emotionally and the Huntress was a device for this but I just wasn't feeling it. When he isn't preaching and being a general ass, he does that whole Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark thing where he transitions from bubbly playboy to brooding crime fighter and sure, Amell is pretty enough to pull it off but that doesn't actually make him interesting, charming, certainly but not interesting. But by saying he is the worst, I say that gingerly because honestly, do we really need this whole Laurel Tommy romcom subplot crap, do we really need all the soap opera shit with Ollie's family? I sometimes can't help but feel this whole show would be more interesting if Detective Lance was the lead character, finding himself in a city where costumed nutters are turning up every day at least he seems to react to everything going on. For all the fantastical in Arrow, Ollie reacts to it and delivers it all so blandly, that we can't really be amazed or enjoy anything, nothing ever feels as epic as it probably should do.

I really do not have a lot to say, I've been unfair on the show and have grown to accept that Arrow is not bad, it is just not what I want from a Green Arrow series. So yes, there were some great character elements again, just not a whole lot else. If you wanted Green Arrow turned into a Soap Opera, this episode and the show in general will give you a massive boner, for everyone else, just stick to the cartoons or comics, there is nothing for us here.

Pros;

  • Gotta love those classic gorgeous CW casts.
  • This show is great if you wanted to see Green Arrow turned into a soap opera. 
Cons;
  • Messy story. 
  • Uninteresting characters.
  • Unconvincing action.
  • Nothing for the fans of the comics this show is based on.

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...