Monday 29 April 2013

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger: S37E11 - Utchī! How Cool.


I did like half of one of my assignments this afternoon, I think I deserve a review break!
I appreciate Sentai is a kids show, so it's meant to be fun, but does anyone really find this fun? It's gone so far beyond goofy by this point that it is utterly stupid. Canderila makes no sense as a villain and is by far the most useless and incompetent, but hey her voice actress is hot so I guess we should just write this off? (I hope the sarcasm was obvious) and this weeks villain, I don't even get it, he removes neck bones and then they fall in love with Canderila...what? Either way he is just an idiot and provides zero threat or tension. This isn't fun it's just crappy. Honestly, I don't even have anything else to say, this was just a rubbish episode. Honestly this entire iteration, although started great and has had great moments spotted throughout, has largely turned to shit - at least for my tastes.

Okay, that isn't completely fair, I did like Gold way more this week than I did last week. His badass arsehole attitude which I thought was personally kinda cool is just a front, which worries me that he's just gonna be a comic relief character later down the line but for now he is very, very cool. And pretty convincing for a Samurai out of time. Plus his action sequences are absolutely stunning.

If any problems still remain with Gold, it's that he's still ridiculously overpowered. The series had, for the most part, struck a great balance of power and really made each Ranger feel purposeful but now he's here you basically don't need anyone else and it's because they struck such a great balance before that this just feels so utterly bullshit.

Also, despite how epic his flashback is, it's also very confusing. He's a kind, stray warrior, utterly devoted to his Lord (or maybe just his laughably fake moustache), that is awesome, but what I can't understand is why his Lord is well...his Lord. Torin clearly sees so little worth in him that he doesn't even choose him to be a Kyoryuger, despite giving powers to the stray and to add salt to the wound that Lord got taken down by a footsoldier. Oh how I miss you Shinkengers, more than ever right now.

I can't stand Candelira, I can't stand this shows sense of humour, so as such this episode was basically a living hell for me. It had that shitty song she sings, all those shitty joke batteries and a goofy, no threat and completely pointless villain of the week. Luckily Gold was there to breathe life into the episode, for at least a couple of minutes.

Pros;
  • Maybe I was too harsh on Gold, I quite like his characterisation and he gets some good action scenes.
  • His flashback was pretty epic as well.
Cons;
  • Pretty much everything else. 
  • Gold is also still way too strong. 

Think About It!

-Locke

What would you rate, 'Utchī! How Cool'?


No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...