Thursday 15 November 2012

Arrow: S01E06 - Legacies.

And the show, goes on!

So this week our episode is about Green Arrow taking down the Royal Flush Gang (and King is played by Currie Graham, how cool is that?) which has a more personal connection to Ollie than he could have realised, he gives them one chance, they don't take it - so he takes them in a big epic final showdown, awesome! And honestly, I think the shows treatment of the Royal Flush Gang has probably been the kindest to the villains so far, I mean what the hell happened to China White and Deadshot? And I mean Deathstroke was badass and all...but that costume man, just doesn't look quite as cool in real life...or really cool at all. The other half of the episode is Tommy dribbling over Laurel while Thea drools over him or some crap, I really don't care, more fighting please! 

Okay, there is one subplot that hit me right in the personal and that was Ollie's Mum, who is sad that she finally gets her son back, only her son is off playing superhero (well she doesn't know that) rather than spending time with her. As someone who lost his mother, I'd give absolutely anything to spend more time with my Mum. And sure, it looks like Ollie's arrival on the island and the subsequent death of his father and Laurel's sister has more than a thick connection back to his mother but it is nonetheless still his mother and everyone loves their Mum, no matter how evil they or their mother may be. So I really enjoyed the happy scenes they got to share with one another, if not a slight bitter taste of envious jealousy. If the story takes a turn where Ollie has to take down his Mum, I think I'd probably stop watching there.

Diggle is an asshole, Ollie let him in on his whole Green Arrow business and sure Diggle put his life on the line for him - but he can't just come in and try and take over the whole thing, but he does anyway! However I can't help but question in this episode, what the point of all this is. Diggle's widening of Ollie's hero radar and all that. I mean isn't Arrow trying to separate itself from the comics? I mean it doesn't bother me, to me this is the first time Arrow has been genuinely good for all the right reasons since the pilot, so please continue, but I just thought this wasn't what they were going for? Guess they realised it wasn't working and about time at that!

This weeks episode is much more action focused, thank God, or at least physically focused anyway - this episode finally took the shape I wanted for the show, well for the most part any way. We get Ollie and Diggle having a little sparring match, we get to see Ollie show off his ninja skills, we have bank robberies and we get to see who wins out of machine guns and a bow and arrow.

Has there always been this much product placement before and I just hadn't noticed? Or have they increased it? Because this whole episode, between the action at least, was like one huge advert. You know what else I never noticed, Ollie's eyes and Thea's lips - I don't know if this is deliberate or by chance, but Ollie and his mother have the same eyes and Thea and her mother have the same mole on their lip, this seems a clever little touch, if it is on purpose, if not, I need to get out more.

This is the episode I always wanted from Arrow, sure there is the sappy drama crap infesting it (and some of it hit me harder than other bits) but for the most part this is the superhero action show Arrow has been advertising itself as, finally, sure it took six episodes to get there but we are finally here and it is glorious! Best episode yet, since the pilot, easily.

Pros;

  • The Royal Flush Gang were awesome.
  • The show feels like it's finally delivering on what it advertises, for the first time really since the pilot.
  • Some great action.
Cons;
  • Do we really need Tommy? Or even Laurel for that matter? I mean the show really seems to be in no rush to force Ollie and Laurel together, so wasting half your episode with characters drooling over each other is exactly that...a waste.
  • What the hell is with all the product placement everywhere, has it always been like this?

Think About It!

-Locke

No comments:

You may also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...